1. Introduction: What's your story?
Hi I'm Vanessa Young, the founder and chief planner at Little Black Book Events. I've been in the wedding planning business for over 8 years now. So how did I get started? I have always been Type A or Type Triple-A according to my family. I'm the one picked to plan birthday parties, vacations, etc. One of my sisters got married 8 years ago and I helped with much of the planning. After that, a few family members and friends reach out for help. I soon realized that I had a talent for planning and an eye for details. I decided to get my Event Management certification from George Washington University Business School and never looked back!
We enjoy working with couples to build a vision for their wedding that reflects them as a couple. We take time to understand each of our couples’ communication styles, visions and needs. We then build a plan based on that foundation, leveraging our years of experience and vast network of vendors. We manage all aspects of the day, behind the scenes, ensuring that our couples are able to be present and enjoy every emotion of their day.
2. What's your experience as a wedding planner? How many weddings have you planned?
We've done over 100 weddings in the past 8 years. We primarily are based in the Washington Metropolitan area but travel wherever our clients are whether that be a train ride away to New York or a plane ride away to Jamaica. Over that 8 year period, we have been able to build a vast network of trusted venues and vendors that help to support our clients achieve their perfect day.
3. What sorts of services do you offer (month-of coordination, full-service planning, or à la carte planning)?
Wedding Day Management: Similar to month-of but much more. It includes things like a 2 hour consultation upfront. We find that it helps couples start planning on the right foot.
Partial Planning: This option is for couples who want to do most of the planning themselves but need a little guidance along the way.
Full Planning: We guide you through the process from start to finish.
4. How do payments work (a percentage of the wedding budget, a flat fee etc.)? What are the different packages that you offer and which one is your most popular package?
We have flat fees for Wedding Day Management and Partial Planning. Full Planning pricing is based off of estimated number guests, number of locations, etc. My Wedding Day Management package is the most popular. It gives couples the coverage they need at a reasonable price point.
5. Who else is in your team and how many people on your staff will be at the wedding?
We have several other planners, assistants, and designers on our team. Typically there will be a minimum of 2 team members at your wedding. Your lead planner and an assistant. If there are multiple locations or extensive design work, then we may bring in additional team members to make sure everything goes smoothly.
6. What happens if you're sick or otherwise unable to be there on the day of the wedding?
It hasn't happened yet (knock on wood), but I do have other planners on the team that can fill in if needed.
7. How many meetings will you have with the couple and how will they be involved?
We don't set a cap on meetings within the timeframe of your package. We want to make sure we have all the information we need to run your day as well as make sure that you feel 100% comfortable with us and that we can execute your vision. And when selecting other vendors we will never send you a blind favorites lists. We of course have our favorites but we first want to understand your budget and what's important before sending recommendations. We want the recommendations to be as personalized as possible.
8. Will you handle the invitations, from wording and ordering to the addressing and mailing? What about guest list coordination and RSVPs?
If design is included in your package we will put together invitation options, including wording. We can address, mail and manage RSVPs. There is an additional cost for this because it is a labor-intensive process.
9. Do you handle rentals? Will you coordinate delivery, arrival and set up times with the photographer, the florist, the musicians and the caterer/banquet manager?
Yes we manage coordination with all vendors. We believe that vendors should operate as one big team in order to make the day a success. So to make that happen, we ensure everyone is on the same page and has what they need to perform at their best on the day.
10. Can you create a timeline that tells everyone involved in the planning process (other pros, members of the wedding party, to-be-weds and families) what to do and when to do it? How will you make sure everyone sticks to the schedule?
We absolutely create a timeline! In fact, we use an online tool that houses all the details of the day. It has a collaborative function so other vendors can comment and make recommendations. We get buy-in from everyone prior to the day to ensure a smooth day.