Photographer - Darrin Hackney
- Business: Darrin Hackney Photography
- Location: Wichita, Kansas KS
- Experience: 15 Years
- Photography Types: Fashion/Editorial, Engagements, Weddings
- Website: www.darrinhackney.com
1. Introduction: What's your story?
Hi, I'm Darrin Hackney, the owner of Darrin Hackney Photography. I got my start in weddings back in 2007 when a photographer friend of mine needed a second shooter at the last minute, as who he originally hired bailed on him. I told him I've never shot a wedding, and he said, "no worries, you're a good shooter, just follow my lead."
I live in Wichita but photograph weddings all around the midwest. Traveling is my favorite thing to do, and I love seeing all the different places the midwest offers.
My background... I used to be a bartender, so I spent a lot of time, behind the bar, watching people. The feel of the different interactions by friends or strangers was something I saw on a nightly basis and now add to my photography. Shooting for the "feel" of the moment is rewarding and accompanies my storytelling of the wedding day.
2. How long have you been shooting weddings? How many weddings have you photographed?
I began my photography journey in 2005. At that time I just wanted better pictures of my Beagles. I had no clue what I was doing with that first camera but I liked how fast it was. I've lost count of how many weddings I've photographed since 2007 when I first second shot a wedding for a friend.
3. How would you describe your photography style?
I would describe my style as Creative, Unique, and Fun. I love capturing the vivid colors of the day, which adds to my documentary style of photography. I realize I'm a historian, and I want to tell the story of your wedding day in photos. Photos that your grandkids will someday look back and say, "they looked like they had a lot of fun!"
I'm pretty goofy, which helps all my couples feel relaxed when they are around me. I believe weddings should be fun and everyone should have a fun time, including the photographer.
4. How well in advance should couples book their wedding photographer?
For around here, I would say at least a year in advance once you know your wedding date.
5. What are the different packages that you offer and which one is your most popular package?
I offer several collections that are mainly based on time. The top package comes with a 2nd photographer and engagement sessions. A 2nd photographer and engagement sessions can be added to the less expensive collections. I've also added smaller collections based on an hourly rate as I've captured a handful of backyard weddings in 2020 where the couple only needed me for a couple of hours.
My most popular collection is what I call the Platinum Collection ($2,500). It's my middle collection and has 8 hours of coverage, which is the average amount of wedding coverage needed on a typical wedding.
6. Are you the wedding photographer who will be shooting on the wedding day? Who else is there in your team?
Yep, I'm the lead photographer and my great friend, Megan, is usually the second shooter. We make a great team, and she's been with me for over 3 years now. One of Megan's greatest strengths is helping the bride get ready in the bridal suite if the bride needs some help. Megan is married and has gone through getting ready, so she knows exactly what to do to make the bride feel comfortable before the craziness of a wedding day happens.
7. Do you charge a travel fee? For what distance? What does that cover?
I don't charge for travel for weddings within 75 miles from Wichita. I'll discuss mileage and can provide a quote with the couple, depending on their location.
8. Are albums or prints included in your packages?
Not currently but I have offered albums in the past and can easily produce one if a client is interested in one.
9. How long after the wedding will the couple receive the images? How will they be delivered?
I deliver the wedding galleries about 4 weeks after the wedding via a downloadable link—engagement sessions: average 2-week turnaround.
10. What is your cancellation and/or refund policy?
I require a $500 non-refundable retainer to book the wedding date.