1. Introduction: What's your story?
Hi I’m Nikoletta Kataxenos, founder and lead makeup artist of Makeup by Nikoletta. I was born in Greece and when I was eleven years old my family and I decided to move to Baltimore, MD. My journey as a makeup artist started in 2013, right after I graduated high school. It was summer and I was on YouTube watching videos and somehow I ended up discovering the “beauty industry” of makeup and the rest is history. I spent hours and hours each day watching tutorials, shopping for products and I even got myself a job at Ulta beauty. After gaining some experience, I decided I wanted to do this for living.
2. What's your experience as a bridal hair & makeup artist? How many brides are in there in your portfolio?
I’ve been doing make up for weddings since 2015. Weddings are definitely my favorite. I love being there with the bride and the party helping everyone get ready for the big day, it’s so fun! At this point I’ve done makeup for so many brides, I can’t keep count but I’ve done over 100 brides all over the DMV area.
3. What are the different packages that you offer and which one is your most popular package?
I offer two different packages for brides, the mega package and the bridal package. Each package includes the trial, the makeup for the day of the wedding and application of false strip lashes. The only difference is that that mega package also includes make up for the engagement shoot. In addition, the bride has the option whether or not she wants to add on airbrush or keep a traditional application.
4. Do you have a team of assistants or will you be the only artist that day? What will happen if you're sick or have an emergency on the wedding day?
If the party is bigger than seven people, an extra make up artist will be with me at no additional cost for the bride. In case of an emergency or being sick that day, I always have make up artists as back ups.
5. Do you charge a travel fee? For what distance? What does that cover?
Yes I do you have a travel fee which includes mileage and tolls. The first 40 miles from 21236 is $30 and then every additional 10 miles is $10.
6. Can the bride book a wedding makeup trial appointment and will you also do a trial before the wedding?
Of course! The bride has the option to just book a wedding makeup trial appointment with me before booking me for her wedding. The only risk with that is that it’s a first come first serve basis so if the bride is satisfied with her trial and then decides she wants to book me for her wedding day, there’s a chance her day could already be booked by another bride. Wedding season gets busy very quick, so I always recommend that brides try and book at least 6 months ahead.
7. What beauty products do you use and would you be open to the bride using her own make-up?
I use a variety of products but my main brand is Tarte cosmetics. They are the most clean brand that I’ve worked with so I love using it on my clients with sensitive skin. I also really enjoy using MAC, NYX, Anastasia Beverly Hills and Colourpop.
The bride is more than welcome to bring her own make up for me to use if that’s what makes her feel comfortable.
8. How can you make the bride's wedding makeup last and look good in photos?
Those are some tips and tricks that I’d like to keep a secret, but the bride will see my techniques during the trial. Trust me, besides doing makeup I love taking great photos for social media so good makeup that’s photo approved is always a must! Nothing worse than taking a photo with flash and you end up looking like a ghost. Don’t worry, I got you!
9. How long will makeup take on the day and how long will you be staying for on the day?
I’d like to have an hour for the bride and 45 mins for each bridesmaid and mother of the bride/groom. Once I’m done everyone’s makeup I leave, but there are brides who like to have me there for touch ups throughout the whole event. This is an additional $55 per hour.
10. What is your cancellation and/or refund policy?
When booking with me I require a 25% nonrefundable deposit. Your date will not be secured until the contract and deposit are received. It’s a first come first serve basis.