Hair & Makeup Artist - Shelby Ligman
- Business: Styled by Shelby Nicole
- Location: San Diego, California CA
- Experience: 8 Years
- Profile: Styled by Shelby Nicole
- Website: www.sandiegohairandmakeup.com
1. Introduction: What's your story?
Hi I'm Shelby Ligman, founder of Styled by Shelby Nicole. My love for hair & makeup probably started when I was in high school. I was always the designated hair & makeup artist for all my friends. I actually didn't get into the industry until many years later when I was let go from my full time job in construction.
I've always wanted to forge my own path. The most difficult part was actually getting the courage to do it. I mean actually I was let go so I had really nothing to loose at this point. I had been freelancing for weddings here & there however I truly wanted to be licensed in hair. From there I went to cosmetology school and went back to working as a server at nights.
Fast forward and here we are. I have opened my own small business! Every year gets better & better. I have some amazing brides that come sit in my chair and I am so grateful they choose me to help them on their big days. I pride myself on open communication, punctual and truly having a great consultation.
2. What's your experience as a bridal hair & makeup artist? How many brides are in there in your portfolio?
I've been full time doing weddings going on 3 years now. I had started roughly 7 years ago barely part time doing makeup for bridal parties. Currently I have roughly 80+ weddings under my belt
3. What are the different packages that you offer and which one is your most popular package?
I don't offer packages per say. I offer everything a la carte. I find this easier for brides to get head counts and offer services to their bridal parties. What's currently happening right now is we are seeing a shift from strict "dress code" for bridesmaids to more wiggle room and flexibility with looks. I think this also is helping take the pressure off from Bride's feeling the need to pay for their entire bridal parties hair & makeup. If the Bride isn't as strict then the bridesmaid can pick and choose what is in their budget or what they are comfortable doing. This is why I only offer a la carte. I tend to get combos of a few for both, some for just hair or some for just makeup. It is also why I have never have had a monetary minimum service. I based my minimum off how many services are going to be done.
4. Do you have a team of assistants or will you be the only artist that day? What will happen if you're sick or have an emergency on the wedding day?
I don't like calling them assistants because they are just as qualified stylists as myself. I work with those that have the same esthetic as I do. A few of them actually book their own wedding clientle and we reach out to each other for bigger party needs. I actually did get covid this year right in the middle of wedding season. I asked girls that I work with on weddings a lot and was able to rebook my brides with them. I had that all set up and then made sure the Bride knew that a stylist was available if they choose to book with them. I refunded all their deposits as well since I felt it was the right thing to do.
5. Do you charge a travel fee? For what distance? What does that cover?
I charge $55 travel fee for anything over 25 miles from 92109. It covers gas to and from, relocation fees and extra driving time.
6. Can the bride book a wedding makeup trial appointment and will you also do a trial before the wedding?
I do offer trials! However I only book dates once a signed contract and deposit is made. I do this so I don't double book brides. It's hard to keep up with trials & what date their wedding is. So I find it best to book a trial after you have locked in your date.
7. What beauty products do you use and would you be open to the bride using her own make-up?
I use a lot of different brands & I also rotate and try new things a lot. Here are my favorite currently: AIIR, Diane, Kevin Murphy, Charlotte Tillbury, Loreal, Ardell, Makeup by Mario.
I am always okay with clients wanting me to use their own makeup. Whatever makes them feel comfortable!
8. How can you make the bride's wedding makeup last and look good in photos?
Skin prep is key! Asking them their skin type is what I always start a consultation with. I also send my Brides away with a touch up kit which includes: Lip Color, Powder, Oil Blotting Sheets, Mints, Eyelash glue & a makeup wipe to take it all off at the end of the night.
9. How long will makeup take on the day and how long will you be staying for on the day?
I block out an hour per person for makeup. I will finish the bridal party, do any touch ups and them will pack up to leave. I do offer an hourly rate of $70 per hour to stay through and change looks or touch up.
10. What is your cancellation and/or refund policy?
I do not offer refundable deposits. However you can cancel one month in advanced.