1. Introduction: What's your story?
My name is Sarah Oswald and I have an extreme passion for romance, intimate relationships, and community. I believe it is no accident that I work as a wedding officiant and relationship coach. It is the very thing that makes my heart sing, and I think it is the reason I am on this planet: to serve Love.
In 2016 I had been teaching group dynamics and teaching relationship skills for a number of years, but weddings were not on my radar yet. That year, out of the blue I was asked by three couples to officiate their weddings! I quickly realized this was something I was not only good at, but absolutely loved doing. I yearned to offer more. It also fit nicely with the couples coaching I was already offering. I like to think this work found me, and am so grateful for it.
2. What's your experience as a wedding officiant? How many weddings have your officiated?
I have been officiating weddings since 2016, and have now performed nearly 100 weddings. Some of these were big weddings with large numbers of guests, and some of these were simply elopements in gorgeous natural settings. I've offered premarital coaching to many of these couples.
3. How far in advance do couples need to secure your services?
3-6 months lead time is about average, but it really ranges. Some couples book me a year in advance, some only a few weeks ahead of time! If a couple wants to co-create a ceremony that is unique to them, and represents who they are as a unit, I recommend at least 3 months in advance. A few weeks doesn't leave much time for script personalization, but I can certainly show up and perform my pre-written ceremony without much advance notice. Though I must admit, it's not my favorite way of working. I much prefer getting to know each couple well and taking our time to enjoy the collaboration process.
4. How would you describe your officiant style?
I show up to your ceremony grounded, present, and full of joy for you and your loved ones. My style is heartfelt, connected and personal. While my ceremony script is not based in any religion, I tell couples I represent the spirituality of love. With a background in theater direction and stage management, I am equipped to manage the details and coordinate participating members of your wedding party so that you don't have to worry about a thing. My goal on your wedding day is to ensure you feel supported enough to relax and enjoy the ceremony.
5. What are your fees for officiating a wedding?
I offer 3 packages to accommodate every budget & couple.
#1 Serenity Package: $498
Beautiful ceremony, with a hint of personalization. Includes:
● One planning session (up to one hour in length)
● Vow writing support guide
● Large library of ceremony readings and poems
● Ceremony design & officiation (typically 15-20 minutes in length)
● Signing your marriage license and mailing it to the state
#2 Harmony Package: $998
Plenty of support to co-design a unique-to-you custom ceremony, and a taste of premarital
coaching. Includes everything in the Serenity Package, plus:
● Couples Discovery Questionnaire to get you asking meaningful questions, support us in building your ceremony script, and to deepen your relationship
● Two planning sessions (approximately an hour each) in which I guide you step by step through the process of designing your ceremony
● Custom ceremony design
● Ceremony officiation (typically 20-30 minutes in length)
● A survey to collect insight from your community which I use to make your ceremony more personal and meaningful
● Basic Community Circle to connect you with your closest loved ones before your ceremony
*Complimentary: 75-minute Premarital Coaching session
#3 Eternity All-Inclusive Package: $1,628
Fully personalized ceremony for the couple who knows their wedding ceremony is the real life of the
party. Includes everything in the Serenity & Harmony Packages, plus:
● Writing of your love story by a professional writer
● Facilitating fun interactions to help your wedding guests get to know each other and weave a strong web of connection around you as a couple
● Three, 90-minute Premarital Coaching sessions
● Travel fees of $2 per mile, round trip from Nevada City, CA
● Premarital Coaching (If purchased as an add-on to any officiant package, take 20% off the listed rates.)
● Ceremony rehearsal within 1-2 hours before your wedding (+$108)
● Ceremony rehearsal day before (+$300) (Plus, above mentioned travel fees)
6. What do you wear when you officiate a wedding?
A long burgundy evening gown is my favorite wedding attire. You will see it in most of the photos on my website. If that doesn't work for your style, we can discuss other options. I am happy to accommodate!
7. How many pre-wedding sessions will the couple need to have with you?
It depends on how complex your ceremony customization is, and if you are incorporating premarital coaching. See my rates and packages for further details.
8. Will you be able to create a personalized ceremony?
Absolutely! Collaborating with you to create a unique ceremony that represents who you are as a couple is my favorite thing in the world. This is YOUR wedding, and I believe your ceremony should reflect that.
9. Are you available to travel if needed?
Yes. I offer weddings in the Nevada City area, and the Bay Area, and will travel up to 90 minutes outside of either of those regions.
10. What is your cancellation and/or refund policy?
If you have not yet had your second planning meeting with me:
Cancelations 6 weeks or more prior to your wedding date receive a 50% refund.
Cancelations between 2-6 weeks prior to your wedding date receive a 25% refund.
If you have completed your second planning meeting with me:
Cancelations 6 weeks or more prior to your wedding date receive a 35% refund.
Cancelations between 2-6 weeks prior to your wedding date receive a 15% refund.