Hair & Makeup Artist - Kelly Chu
- Business: SOYI Makeup and Hair
- Location: Cupertino, California CA
- Experience: 9 Years
- Profile: SOYI Makeup and Hair
- Website: www.soyimakeup.com
1. Introduction: What's your story?
My name is Kelly, a SF Bay Area based hair and makeup artist. I am also the founder of SOYI Makeup and Hair.
I have had a lifelong passion with makeup and hair styling. In 2012, I began to learn makeup officially. Since then, my passion towards makeup and hair keeps growing everyday. I started doing makeup and hair for my friends at their weddings, and eventually transitioned away from the financial industry and become a full time makeup artist.
I have always been someone that values quality, which is why I only provide high quality work and deliver only the best to both my clients and students.
Having a belief that every girl is beautiful in her own way, I seek to create a look that enhances the bride's natural beauty and fits her own personality.
2. What's your experience as a bridal hair & makeup artist? How many brides are in there in your portfolio?
I started doing bridal makeup and hair full time since 2015.
I have the honor to help hundreds of brides to look and feel beautiful on their special days. She has travelled to Asia, Europe, and Hawaii to do brides' hair and makeup.
I on average do 90-100 weddings and elopements in a year.
3. What are the different packages that you offer and which one is your most popular package?
My packages are listed on my website: https://www.soyimakeup.com/wedding-bookings
I offer both traditional and airbrush makeup for brides and bridal parties.
For a typical wedding booking that I have, the bride usually books me for herself, her bridesmaids, the two mothers and maybe the groom.
I also offer lash lift, accessory and hair extension rentals.
4. Do you have a team of assistants or will you be the only artist that day? What will happen if you're sick or have an emergency on the wedding day?
I have a team of experienced and professional hair and makeup artists, each of them have several years of experience.
If I have bigger party (more than 6 services), I bring a team member.
When a bride books me for her wedding day, I will provide an estimate for the amount of time needed.
If an emergency were to arise, I have a backup artist available to handle any situation. My goal is to assure my bride would not be disappointed on her special day.
5. Do you charge a travel fee? For what distance? What does that cover?
Yes, I charge a travel fee based on the distance and time required to travel to the get ready location.
A quote will be provided in the initial quote. If you are interested in getting a quote, please visit: https://www.soyimakeup.com/wedding-bookings
6. Can the bride book a wedding makeup trial appointment and will you also do a trial before the wedding?
It is recommended to have the trial no earlier than 2-3 months as your taste in style may still change if you have it too early. It is also more ideal to have a trial when your dress, veil, accessories are finalized. Almost all of my brides book me first and have a trial with me around 2-3 months before the wedding.
If you wish to have a trial with me before booking, the regular trial rate would be applied.
Clients who schedule a trial with me after booking is confirmed will get a reduced rate.
I am also inviting you to review my Instagram page and Yelp reviews to not only see the styles I do, but also hear from more brides.
7. What beauty products do you use and would you be open to the bride using her own make-up?
Here are some of our artists’ favorite makeup brands that she has in her bridal kit: Charlotte Tilbury, Giorgio Armani, Urban Decay, Bobbi Brown, Benefits, Hourglass, Kat Von D, Anastasia, Laura Mercier, MAC, NARS, Shu Uemura, Temptu airbrush system and etc.
If the bride wants me to use her products, I am open to that.
8. How can you make the bride's wedding makeup last and look good in photos?
I spend time to understand each bride's unique facial features, skin tone, personal character, wedding style, and etc. I also have each of my bride fill out a questionnaire so that I get a better understanding of their preferences and what her wedding is like.
A trial will then be performed to find out what make my bride look and feel her best.
This is a personal trial session to help you find the perfect style for your big day.
1. Consultation: As the Bride, you will share vision and style you have in mind. We take time to understand your wedding style, your inspiration pictures and the little details of your wedding.
2. Professional opinion: Our MUA provides opinions based on what is best for your facial features, skin type, hair type and length.
3. Try out: We make the magic and try out the makeup and hair on you.
4. Complete the look: We will finish the look with hair accessories, veil, earrings and etc to see the complete look.
5. Photos: Before and after photos will be taken for the artist's reference before your wedding.
9. How long will makeup take on the day and how long will you be staying for on the day?
Based on the feedbacks and reviews from my past clients, they comment that the makeup and hair lasted until the end of the wedding very well. I also provide a touch up kit to every bride. It will be very helpful to touch up a little bit every now and then to keep the makeup fresh.
If you have oily skin or if you are a crier, I also provide touch up services.
10. What is your cancellation and/or refund policy?
After a booking is confirmed (contract and retainer are both settled), the retainer will be non refundable. Once you have placed a deposit, services cannot be removed. If you are unsure, please exclude the services out of the quote. Additional services may be added depending on artists' availabilty but booked services cannot be removed. If the get ready location or time is changing, I will do my best to accomodate the changes but there is no gaurantee.