1. Introduction: What's your story?
My years of living in Paris and London and my event design experience have made me unique to the wedding industry. I am passionate about my work, I love what I do and choose to do it. I pride myself in being involved with every detail of your wedding day. You will never speak to anyone but me. Exclusive personal attention is my specialty.
Upon moving to San Diego in 1988 from Chicago and the demanding world of commercial advertising, my goal was to establish myself as an independent designer.
After volunteering at many local events and always getting put on the decorating committee I landed my first flower job, at the Hotel Del Coronado flower shop. It was fun, hard work and a wonderful learning experience that prepared me to become a special event designer for a large catering company. After 5 years of designing huge corporate events I was ready to launch my own vision, Lois Mathews Design. That was 22 happy and fulfilling years ago. I have enjoyed every single wedding I have created and continue to enjoy and learn from every bride. What a wonderful business this is, how lucky I am to be a part of it.
2. What's your experience as a wedding florist business? How many weddings are in there in your portfolio?
I have done between 20 to 30 weddings a year for the past 22 years so somewhere around 500 weddings, I would guess. I really haven’t counted.
3. How far in advance do couples need to secure your services?
Ideally about a year out is good but many weddings are 6 to 8 months ahead and some are less. If I have the opening I will book them, especially if I like the challenge.
4. How do you price your floral arrangements? What are the different packages that you offer and which one is your most popular package?
Each wedding is customized to the bride’s vision, taste and style. I do not do packages and I do have a minimum of $2,500 for small weddings. Most of my weddings are in the $3,500 to $10,000 range.
5. How many meetings will you have with the couple, and how will they be involved?
I usually only meet with my clients once, by the end of the meeting we know we want to work together and they know that I am passionate and committed. I work out of a vintage barn that is full of items that I offer to enhance their theme and style. Brides love it because they get to really visualize how it will all come together and how it will be unique to their taste.
6. Who else is in your team and how many people on your staff will be at the wedding?
I have been working with the same team for the past 15 years and they all are passionate about flowers and we all love being together creating and designing. There are usually 2 or 3 teammates with me for set up.
7. How would you describe your design style? (e.g. traditional, modern, rustic, organic)
I can do almost any style, I prefer to be more traditional but also love beach weddings, which are a big seller in San Diego. I do whatever the bride wants. I love it when a bride comes to me with an idea that I have never done, that stretches me. I love the challenge.
8. Who will handle setup and delivery? What other services do you offer?
We handle all delivery, set up and tear down.
9. What happens to the flowers after the wedding?
We ask the bride what she prefers. We put the flower in sturdy containers so that their guest can leave the vessels (which are rental items) but take the flowers. Or we donate them.
10. What is your cancellation and/or refund policy?
We have a 50% non refundable booking fee to hold the date. The balance is due, paid in full 3 weeks before the wedding. We do not order flowers until we are paid in full.