The property was originally the site of the Jackson County Courthouse, built in 1872. It housed the police station and the county jail. In 1886, it was devastated by a tornado that followed along the path of the Missouri River. Later a portion of the site was mile marker zero for Kansas City Southern Railroad.Every track of line was measured from this location. A small building occupied the Southwest corner of the lot and housed the entry facility into the rail yard that was further west on Second Street.
River Market Event Place is an extraordinary event space with soaring 20 foot ceilings, and a spectacular glass wall spanning more than 70 feet.