Hair & Makeup Artist - Christina Chen
- Business: Makeup by Quis
- Location: San Francisco, California CA
- Experience: 17 Years
- Website: makeupbyq.com
1. Introduction: What's your story?
Hi! This is Christina from Makeup by Quis. Quis is my nickname from high school since it sounds like Chris(tina). :) Many people get confused about where it came from, and think it's French or something.
I've been doing makeup professionally for the last 17 years, and full time for over 12 years! However, I've loved painting/drawing portraits from a young age, and combined with my love for people, it seemed like the perfect career path for me. I love the intimacy of getting to know someone and the ability to make them feel confident and beautiful in their own skin.
To me, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I spend lots of time trying to understand each person's perspective, and we try to build a suitable look for each person based on their personal style and comfort level. A happy, comfortable woman radiates confidence no matter what. That is my belief about beauty!
2. What's your experience as a bridal hair & makeup artist? How many brides are in there in your portfolio?
I started assisting a bridal makeup and hair artist when I was 18, but then detoured into the world of events/fashion/movies and even worked at universal studios doing special fx for their halloween horror nights, and at a circus! However, I've been predominantly focused on bridal the past 11 years in the Bay Area. I've honestly lost count of the number of brides I've done. There's hundreds if not over a thousand of them!
3. What are the different packages that you offer and which one is your most popular package?
I offer several different packages for clients, but most clients have me on for their hair and makeup in the morning as well as 3 more additional hours during the wedding day to do some light touch-ups and person assistance.
4. Do you have a team of assistants or will you be the only artist that day? What will happen if you're sick or have an emergency on the wedding day?
I do have a team of assistants who help me with the bridal party if necessary. In an emergency, I have a large network of wonderful artists I will reach out to for help. Thankfully, that's yet to happen!
5. Do you charge a travel fee? For what distance? What does that cover?
Yes, anywhere outside of San Francisco is charged. It's based on mileage.
6. Can the bride book a wedding makeup trial appointment and will you also do a trial before the wedding?
Yes, for sure! I highly encourage brides to do a trial so they can know what they want for their wedding day. Especially if you're not someone who's used to wearing makeup. Sometimes, people will imagine themselves in a certain hairstyle/makeup because they see it on a celebrity/model. However, it might not be the most suitable look for their features, and it's great for them to see and adjust accordingly during the trial. Trials are typically held 4-6 weeks before the wedding day so your hair length is similar!
7. What beauty products do you use and would you be open to the bride using her own make-up?
I use many brands and love testing out new makeup all the time. I often source products from Asia too, as I believe they have lots of advanced beauty technology over there. The bride can most definitely use her own makeup if she feels more comfortable doing so.
8. How can you make the bride's wedding makeup last and look good in photos?
It's a matter of the product choice, chosen based on professional knowledge of their skin/hair type, as well as weather conditions, and understanding lighting and how different makeup shows up in varying photography styles. It's knowledge you accumulate over years of experience with different clients in all different situations. I've worked in humid, windy weathers to stormy, snowing days!
9. How long will makeup take on the day and how long will you be staying for on the day?
I schedule 3-3.5 hours for getting ready. The length of stay will depend on their package.
10. What is your cancellation and/or refund policy?
A non-refundable retainer is needed for securing the date. So there are no refunds for payments already made.